Last Saturday night, we had an abundance of zucchini from a friend’s garden, some staple items in the cupboard, and not much else. So, we whipped up this dinner and let me tell you, every bite was delicious. I call it the Super Seasonal Special for a few reasons. 1) It’s super because it’s a complete meal – 1/4 grains, 1/4 protein, 1/2 vegetable. 2) We used seasonal vegetables – zucchini and onions fresh from local gardens. 3) It’s based on Pete’s Harbor Special from the Student’s Vegetarian Cookbook.
Super Seasonal Special
- 1 can of (vegetarian) refried black or pinto beans
- cooked brown rice
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- one onion, chopped, divided
- 1 can of tomatoes (or 2 fresh, which would have been better)
- some pepicha (not necessary, but we got it with our City Fresh share, so we thought we’d use it) or cilantro
1. Cook the rice according to directions. About 50 minutes. Or use leftover rice.
2. In a medium/large skillet, saute the onion in olive oil. Put 1/2 the onion in a bowl for salsa.
3. Make the salsa: mix sauteed onion, tomatoes, and cilantro or pepicha. Taste and adjust however you like.
4. Add the zucchini to the onions in the skillet and cook until soft. Heat the refried beans in a saucepan.
5. Spread beans on a plate. Top with rice, zucchini/onion mixture, and salsa. Enjoy!
Mmm…. eat it with tortilla chips. We like unsalted Garden Fresh Gourmet.