As I get stricter on my diet, I am finding that I am also trying to coax my other half to join me. The best thing is that this really takes no coaxing at all! The secret to the veg lifestyle is that you can eat just as deliciously without meat! Something I am always trying to show my skeptical friends and family.
As we were getting in a recipe rut due to my crazy busy studying schedule, I thought it was time to discover a new favorite recipe. Being in the mood to be bold and different, I decided it was time to do some experimenting with tofu, something I had never cooked before ( and I have been a vegetarian/veganish for how long?)
This recipe was awesome and after we ate, we were counting down hours until our leftovers lunch the next day!
Teryiaki Tofu Lettuce Wraps
1 carton of tofu
1 cup brown rice
as much mixed veggies as you choose I used corn, carrots and broccoli
your choice of sauce- I used teryiaki as seen in the name ;-).. I think next time we might try orange!
one head of romaine lettuce ( if you want to bump up the nutrients I suggest kale)
1. Open tofu package and get the water out of the tofu. To do this I cut the tofu in half and placed it between two towels then put a book on top of the towels to let the water soak out. I did this for about 30 minutes
2. After you drain the water, you want to marinate the tofu by letting the tofu sit in a boal covered by the sauce. I let this sit for about 30-45 minutes.
3. Cook rice according to package
4. Steam vegetables
5. Empty tofu and marinate into a skillet and let simmer for 10 minutes being careful not to let it burn, stir occasionally
6. Add rice and veggies to skillet and stir. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes
7. Put contents into bowl and spoon out amounts onto the pieces of lettuce then roll them up 🙂