With summer comes mosquitoes. I seem to get bit just thinking about them. So, here are a few tips to keep your yard and your body mosquito free:
- spray your yard – grass, trees, plants – with garlic oil. It should repel them for up to 4 weeks.
- keep your dog on heartworm medicine. Heartworm is transmitted by mosquitoes!
- remove all shallow standing water – dog dishes, tires, etc.
- keep bird baths fresh
- line your gutters with gutter-guards. You can do it yourself with supplies from the local hardware store.
- rake those leaves – mosquitoes love piles of damp leaves
- stay in the sun – mosquitoes seem to only bite when you’re in the shade.
Instead of stinky mosquito repellent with harmful deet, we use a mixture of lavender oil and water. It’s so refreshing, and it really works. Other sprays that probably work are eucalyptus oil and lemon oil. You can get essential oils in the “healthy” section of most grocery stores, or in some specialty stores. We mix up a little bottle about 10 drops of lavender oil and 4 oz. of water.